Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Runoffs Qualification
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:08 pm 

Here is where I've gotten all my information for the following:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... %20v.7.pdf\
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... teria1.pdf

This is from the Midiv Mid-Am Championship regulations. The red texts are where it is confusing.

"5.4 Minimum Number of Events
b. To qualify for a Runoffs invitation, a driver must be a finisher in at least four races (anywhere) which may score points in this
series
, and must be a starter in at least two Mid-Am races. Additionally he must be a participant (finisher, DNF or DNS) in a minimum
of four Regional-race weekends (anywhere) which may score points in this series
."

This bit is from the Runoffs Qualification Criteria sheet.

"Participate in 4 Divisional Runoffs Qualifier event weekends. MINIMUM"

So after reading all of these, it is very confusing. First of all, I am not understanding what "score points in this series" means. Does that mean score points in the Mid-Am series or the Runoffs series (i.e. runoffs qualifying race)? For sure we are required to start in two Mid-Am races, finish in four races (unsure whether in Midiv or any division), and possibly four regional race weekends (unsure whether in Midiv or any division).

In my opinion, I read it as:
1. Finish 4 races anywhere (not just in Midiv)
2. Start 2 races in Mid-Am series
3. Start in 4 different race weekends (not just in Midiv)

Can somebody confirm my thinking here?

2007 Red Acura TL Type-S
1993 Black Rx7
1996 Black SM/STL Miata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:05 am 

Wow...over 40 views and no replies. I guess I wasn't the only one stumped.

Well after doing more reading into the other divisions' rules, here are the conclusions I draw:

1. We have 8 divisional race weekends (2 of which are past the runoffs qualifier event deadline unless the second Iowa event is cleared this weekend) and 2 Majors events. The one divisional rule SCCA national requires is that 4 event weekends be run to qualify for the runoffs. This means 4 SEPARATE event weekends as opposed to 4 races. Many other divisions only contain this rule to qualify whereas MiDiv has three rules that make up its invitation process.

2. Once you've ran 4 events (8 races or more depending on the event), fulfilling the other two MiDiv requirements should be relatively easy. Only two MiDiv starts are required and four total race finishes, which according to MiDiv does not have to be all within our division.

All in all, 4 different weekends are required whether they be in or out of division. As long as you complete the two MiDiv starts, finish 4 races during those 4 weekends, and are in the top 3 in Mid-Am points, you will qualify for an invitation.

I will create a few examples to help understand this.

One could race all MiDiv races with no majors events. For example the June Iowa event, MAM in July, Hastings also in July, and finally Gateway in August. Running all of these and accumulating enough points to finish in the top three of your class earns you an invitation.

One could also run a combination of Majors events and divisional events. Hallett in April, Iowa in June, MAM in July, and Topeka in August. Completing these four could also earn you an invitation.

Another is a mix of divisional racing. Running the Iowa event in June, the MAM in July, along with Brainerd in May and Blackhawk in June could still earn you an invitation even though not all races are within MiDiv.

Hopefully this is both clear and correct. If any of this is incorrect please feel free to correct me, and if anyone has any questions for me feel free to ask.

2007 Red Acura TL Type-S
1993 Black Rx7
1996 Black SM/STL Miata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:42 am 

Thanks for doing the research on this. I'll let you know if I hear anything that conflicts with what you've found.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:55 am 

Everything you said above makes good sense and helped me understand it better.

Stix37867 wrote:
Another is a mix of divisional racing. Running the Iowa event in June, the MAM in July, along with Brainerd in May and Blackhawk in June could still earn you an invitation even though not all races are within MiDiv.

And as long as those out of division races fit this rule below:

5.3 Out-of-Division races
Drivers competing in SCCA races conducted in other Divisions may have their finishes included in the Mid-Am Championship and
scored according to Item 5.2.c above regardless of the scoring system used by the races’ home division. Out-of-division finishes must
be in a Majors race or in a race which is part of a series providing that division’s drivers a path to the Runoffs.

Now, take a look at this statement from the Mid-Am Regulations:

1.2 Runoffs Qualification
A driver may qualify for a Runoffs invitation only in the specific classes designated by SCCA as National Championship classes.
Drivers qualifying for the Runoffs in a given class through participation in a Majors conference will not be considered as qualifiers in
that class through this championship. Thus the remaining three highest-placed Mid-Am drivers in each class will qualify, except in
Spec Miata and Spec Racer Ford for which the remaining five highest-placed drivers will qualify, providing they have met the
parameters set out in section 5.4.b of these rules

So, lets take SM. According to the rules the top 5 qualify for the runoffs as stated above. Lets say the top 5 SM finishers in the Mid-Am championship ALSO qualify for the runoffs via the Majors route. How I interpret that, is that since 1-5 qualified via the Majors they don't count for the Mid-Am Runoffs qualifying so they are thrown out. Now places 6-10 in SM's Mid-Am championship would qualify for the Runoffs.

Am I reading that right?

#44 92' Miata
http://www.youtube.com/user/vanzante05
https://www.facebook.com/mvzante?ref=tn_tnmn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 pm 

Yes your are correct on both statements. I am attempting to qualify via both routes but on the off chance I don't make the cut through the majors path, I will use the divisional path to get my invitation. For us here in MiDiv, divisional qualification for SM isn't too hard compared to other areas with a lot more participation. Nevertheless it still would be nice to get one of the top spots in MiDiv.

2007 Red Acura TL Type-S
1993 Black Rx7
1996 Black SM/STL Miata

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:10 pm 

Okay, folks, let's see if I can help clear up a few things.

First of all, forget about out-of-division races. None of the nine SCCA Divisions are accepting out-of-division finishes in their series -- MiDiv was the last to go this route after learning the other eight had done so.

Therefore, the rule about doing four weekends with a minimum of two in MiDiv, since there is no opportunity to score out-of-division races that means all four must be in MiDiv. If, someday in the future, OOD scores become possible again, then OOD races could be used to meet that minimum, but not this year.

Same for finishes. If we were scoring OOD points, finishes out-of-division could meet the requirement. Since we are not scoring OOD points, all four necessary finishes must be in MiDiv (Mid-Am) races. That being the case, two MiDiv starts is a moot point.

Stix37867 gave three examples to qualify for the Runoffs, his third is incorrect. Finishes at Brainerd and Blackhawk will do you no good because they will not count in the Mid-Am series. his first two examples are correct.

Weekend. Yes, all the MiDiv races have at least two, sometimes three, races on the weekend. But to get credit for a weekend you only need to GET ON THE TRACK one time. Yes, you show up, go out for first practice, blow up in turn 1 of the first lap, load up and go home -- you've DONE a weekend.

Stix's earlier query about races that "score points in this series" ... he is reading the Mid-Am rules so "this series" is specifically the Mid-Am series. And to qualify for the Runoffs those points must be scored in races run prior to three weeks before the Runoffs. IOW, the standings as of Sept 14 (or really, Aug. 31 for us) will determine the Runoffs qualifiers (even though they may well change later to determine our champions). No, the Sept. 20-21 weekend at Iowa Speedway will not count for Runoffs qualifying.

Runoffs Qualifying and Mid-Am Championship should be looked on as two separate and unrelated items, rules for which just happen to be in the same document. Mvzante has it right, if the top 5 SM cars in Mid-Am points are qualified through Majors or Nationwide points (that's two different ways right there), then Mid-Am SM drivers 6-10 are OUR qualifiers.

In MiDiv the two Majors weekends are also Mid-Am Championship weekends. As far as the Mid-Am is concerned, they're "just another race." For those classes who cannot race at Hallett and/or Heartland Park they get the "bonus races" (a third race for non-Runoffs classes) at Iowa, MAM and Hastings -- thank you DMV and Nebraska!

Finally, some of the rules quoted in this thread have been superseded. The process of devising our Mid-Am rules have gone through seven versions and updates. The latest can be found on www.midiv.org, click on "Mid-Am." For anybody with questions, I'm always available to provide answers. This year is going to be quite the learning process as we move forward into this new era of SCCA Club Racing.

--Rocky Entriken
MiDiv Pointskeeper
rocky@spitfire4.com
785-827-5143

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 pm 

Thanks for clearing that all up Rocky. Indeed it will definitely be a learning curve this year. As for out-of-division races, it don't necessarily mind that rule. If someone wants to earn one of MiDiv's Runoff invitations, they should be required to race within the division. I could see allowing a maximum of two in the future, possibly at partial points, but I'll be curious to see what kind of turnout we see at events first.

Thank you again for setting the record straight.

2007 Red Acura TL Type-S
1993 Black Rx7
1996 Black SM/STL Miata