DMVR

Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 am 

Heidi ho!

For giggles, I was looking at the price and size availability of tires for my Dodge Intrepid and was pleasantly surprised at Kuhmo's offerings, namely their Ecsta V710 and VictoRacer V700s. My car has stock 16in wheels that are running 225/60R16 tires. If I understand the sizing correctly, 225/50R16 tires will fit brilliantly (spedo'll be a bit off, but no worries).

I know that SCCA rules prevent me from changing my rim size drastically. That said, if I use my existing rims, is it fine if the car is lowered because the tire sidewalls are lower profile?

Finally, what is the largest rim I can put on my car and still be stock? 2003 Intrepids only came with 16in x 7in wheels. If I'm reading this correctly, the best I can do is 16x7.25, but not 17x7 (shame the R/T was discontinued in 2003, which had 17in wheels).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:01 am 

If you use your existing rims, that size tire would be fine.

My understanding of the wheel size rule is the wheels must stay the same size, but the offset of the wheels can be +/- 5mm. Then again they may have changed that rule since I actually cared about being competitive...

Just my .02 cents, I think you should stick to running your current tires the rest of the season and save your money. You are doing great and your first season should be about learning your car at the limits.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:23 am 

Yo Keutla wrote:
Just my .02 cents, I think you should stick to running your current tires the rest of the season and save your money. You are doing great and your first season should be about learning your car at the limits.
From a different perspective, don't learn how to drive a crappy handling car. (Assuming new tires will help :) )

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:20 pm 

GregS wrote:
Yo Keutla wrote:
From a different perspective, don't learn how to drive a crappy handling car. (Assuming new tires will help :) )

agreed. buy a cheap miata.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:33 pm 

I was not insulting his car! :) I meant that poor tires can make a car handle very poorly.

The idea is drive what you have to the best of your ability. :D