DMVR

Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:28 pm 

Where are all the vintage cars! Get them out of the garage and get them dirty, this is what they were meant to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:42 pm 

Hell, even non vintage cars that were designed to rally...

*cough* EVOS :mrgreen:

92 Integra GS-R
87 XT Turbo (possible rallyX car)
72 Super Beetle
89 Jeep Cherokee winter beater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 am 
Site Admin

Tullamore wrote:
Where are all the vintage cars! Get them out of the garage and get them dirty, this is what they were meant to do.
Neither Ron nor I can run since we don't have factory hard tops for our MGBs...

No BS Motorsport - Real sports cars don't have Back Seats!
Age & Treachery Racing Ltd.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 am 

Ric Johnson wrote:
Neither Ron nor I can run since we don't have factory hard tops for our MGBs...

I have a MGB hardtop you guys can use.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:31 am 

Jan in Omaha wrote:
Ok, but usually all runs are scored with no dropped runs. Is there a 10 second gate penalty option or do you just add a 5 cone penalty? (which can make it confusing on the score sheet - been in that situation at the Divisional event in Tulsa)

I've never used AXWare so it may work great... but it should be figured out before the event to eliminate any untimely surprises.

This is what the help system says about "Rally Cross Mode":

"Rally Cross is an autocrossing event for which all the runs are summed to provide the Total Time. All cars must have the same number of runs. Once each run begins, the cars with fewer runs will have a total time of DNS. Once an entry has taken the same number of runs as all the other cars, that total time will be calculated.

Note: since DNFs drastically affect the finishing position of an entry, in some cases it may of benefit to flag DNFs as Re-Runs, which will eliminate the run altogether.

Number of Drops: The number of runs that are not counted in the calculation of the Total Time. This accounts for DNFs and the highest times for each entry. In the name of fairness, this provides a way to rule out a small number of bad runs and DNFs. If the number of drops is set to 0 or is not used, a DNF would disqualify the entry from competition, regardless of how fast the remainder of the runs are. Default is 2.

Auto-Adjust DNF by X Pylons: This option allows you to replace DNFs with a Pylon count rather than as a true DNF. A pylon count is added to the DNF time to provide a time-based penalty and allow the entry to stay somewhat competitive in the event. (DNFs in RallyX mode are very prohibitive penalties). Enter the number of pylons that force a DNF run to a high time but allow the entry to remain in the running. The resulting DNF times should not be faster than any other competitor. An alternate approach to this option is to manually enter DNFs as pylon penalties in the staging grid (high number of pylons). Although this will act much like the function described here, the DNF designation will disappear in the Staging Grid (making it not look like a DNF). Using the automated approach described here, it will retain the DNFs in the staging grid and assign the time offset (based on the number of pylons selected) when the run is consolidated into the standings grid.

Average all Runs Method: Averages all the run times (excluding the Number of Dropped runs). The number of runs for all the cars does not need to be the same as in the normal Rally Cross mode. Rather the average is reached based on the number of runs that each car has taken (and thus they do not need to be the same).

Results Based on Completed Runs: This option allows you to control events whereby not all the participants get the same number of runs. In this mode, only completed runs are counted while DNS entries do not impact the results. This is a quite a different approach than requiring a fixed number of runs that are managed using the above settings."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 am 

Thanks for doing the research on that, Greg.

The current plan is that I'd like to pick up the Solo laptop from you either Friday night or Saturday sometime, and I will have it at the RallyX bright and early to set up for T&S. This was OK'd at the board meeting last night, I emailed Mark Hayes but haven't heard back.

Jan, if Candy wants to run her spreadsheet at the same time, that might not be a bad idea for the first event.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:00 pm 

It looks like they are calling a gate penalty a DNF. Is there a provision in there for multiple gate penalties on a run or anything about the ability to enter a time for a true DNF. I guess we should also talk about how to score what most AutoX drivers would call a DNF. (going the wrong way around a cone or missing a gate) For RallyX, each cone that is taken on the wrong side or each missed gate is a "Gate penalty" and carries a 10 second penalty. Example: Imagine a 5 cone directional slolum. If someone would straight line that 5 cone directional slolum, it would either be 2 or 3 gate penalties, worth 20 or 30 seconds of penalty time, depending on which side of the directional cone they went on. What if someone does it the complete opposite way as intended for each slolum cone... it's 5 gate penalties worth 50 seconds. Yes, just like Solo, it is still a good idea to whack a cone to save a gate penalty if you can. Much better to take a 2 seconds for the cone than 10 for the gate since all the runs count toward a total time.

Most clubs now manually enter a set time for someone who cannot finish a run due to mechanical issues. Usually something like the slowest time in class for that run plus 20-30 seconds. It doesn't disqualify that person from the event... but does give them a significant penalty. Jerry Doctor has seen more variations on this and can probably offer a better example and method.

I haven't been to a RallyX that drops runs in a LONG time. Since RallyX can change the course design in the middle of the event (or even run group), being able to drop a run could create some unfair situations. (Joe gets to drop a longer long run than I did because the course was different when he had his DNF) If the course didn't change at all during the event, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

If you enter 5 cones for a missed gate now the results will show misleading information and drivers can begin to question the validity the results. I had this happen at the MiDiv event in Tulsa. The results showed that I had a 6 cone penalty. Now I know I can be a bit sloppy out there... but 6 cones? Turns out that it was one cone and one gate penalty... but it took going back to the logs sheets to figure it out.

On the Divisional and National level, RallyX is not just a Solo on dirt. There are several differences on how runs and course errors are scored as well as a number of other things. That being said... just like for Solo, local events can be run the way that works best for the local club as long as you meet the safety and organizational requirements.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:56 pm 

Thanks for the input. IMHO, would be best if we were mostly consistent with the other MidDiv regions, especially since we will likely have participants from NER showing up to our events.

At the board meeting last night, we discussed that we will eventually need to add a RallyX position to the board (Tony Hanson is filling that role temporarily, with help from John Jacobs), and write up our own set of RallyX supplemental rules etc. Having folks like Jan and Jerry around to ask questions will help a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:36 pm 

wedge wrote:
Ride alongs, Absolutely

Unless the SSS Jon or Jerry Doctor is against it, but I think it would be to everybodies interest to do so.

No problem on our end. Ride alongs are important in introducing this new activity to the DMVR.

Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:45 pm 

Things are set and ready to go, it has been pre-tested by Tony and Me.

Don't forget you will want to up the tire pressures, don't need no tire bead problems.

I would suggest 40 - 45 PSI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:31 pm 

Good work today, guys.

Big thanks to Candy for her help in T&S.

Not sure what the deal was with Steve's Sunbeam, I think he's running an illegal tachyon particle additive in his gas that makes the timer trip 22 seconds before he leaves the line. You need to adjust that so it trips 22 seconds after you leave.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:56 pm 

Yes, A big thanks to the Nebraska Region on helping with our first RallyCross event.

Candy & Jan Gerber

Jerry Doctor

Mark Walker

Again Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:01 pm 

Need to say thanks to Dave Champion, Tony, Kyle, Scott, Thomas, Jeremy, Yo and many others for helping out and making our first RallyCross a success.

It was good to see 34 crazy people show up for our first event.

I also hope that everybody had as good of a time as I did in the slick snotty stuff :D

It only took me an hour & $5 in quarters to power wash all the grass/mud off of the Wedge :roll:

The price we pay to have fun!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:05 pm 

What blows my mind is how FAST videos from your car look compared to mine. Either way, neither of us came close to breaking 30 MPH!

Great fun all around. I'm very satisfied with how it went even if it was too wet for speed. I certainly learned some important lessons for driving my car (namely, lifting is my friend for making turns).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:25 pm 

Great fun, what a success! DMVR thanks everyone who helped pull this off, especially the Nebraska people who volunteered and/ John Jacobs, and Subaru members who did the cooking and hot coffee for taking the lead on this new part of DMVR!

Stories and photos to follow in the DMVR Newsletter, if you are not a member, better join now so you can read it!!!

THANKS THANKS THANKS!

Racer Dan

Owner- Cottman Car Repair and Transmissions- Des Moines- We service / repair cars & trucks!
cell- 515-979-8473; shop =515-331-2100
96 Corvette GS, 2011 Camaro Bumble Bee, 73 Stars and Stripes Corvette convertible. Owner- road race cars: 69 Vintage Hugger Orange SS Camaro #48: Co owner- 1991 Cottman Miata #95.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:55 pm 

Loads of fun. Thanks again John for letting me drive your car.

Iowa Region RE

Please use the TireRack banner on IowaRegionSCCA.org for all your tire needs!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 am 

Huge thanks to everyone involved and everyone that came out. Despite the weather, I felt we had a great event and can't wait for the next one. I hope that we start getting some pictures posted from the event. I saw several cameras snapping pictures out there.

Under Construction - 1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:38 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-y9o7-JWZU

These are the runs in my car. All in all not worth watching unless you like the Intrepid! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:33 am 

That was painfully slow to watch :lol:

Thanks for joining us and the help in timing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:11 am 

You should have seen my view from the Miata with no tread on the rear!

Uggg!

RD

Owner- Cottman Car Repair and Transmissions- Des Moines- We service / repair cars & trucks!
cell- 515-979-8473; shop =515-331-2100
96 Corvette GS, 2011 Camaro Bumble Bee, 73 Stars and Stripes Corvette convertible. Owner- road race cars: 69 Vintage Hugger Orange SS Camaro #48: Co owner- 1991 Cottman Miata #95.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next