DMVR

Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rallycross interest
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:36 pm 

any thing new on this topic?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:50 pm 

I have the '96 Miata for sale (see classifieds section), would make a crazy fun RallyX car.

If you are interested in making this happen, I would suggest that you go to the membership meetings, or otherwise let the board know how you'd like to volunteer to do this. We need RallyX Safety Stewards, and someone needs to find locations to hold the events.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

adowdell wrote:
any thing new on this topic?

Obviously not since there have been no posts since February. From my perspective it seems we have a few people interested in doing this if someone else puts on events that they can go to. There are even some who say they would "help". What is lacking is that one person, or group of persons, with the burning desire to do this to the point that they are willing to sacrifice their precious personal time to do the grunt work of persuading the board this is viable, coordinating the requirements with National, finding sites to hold events, dealing with all the details and infrastructure, and providing the leadership to those who want to "help" but who don't want to commit to doing the tough parts.

That's the only way anything ever actually happens in any club, especially this one. I've been around this club for quite a few years and it continues to concern me that the ratio of "takers" to "givers" seems to get worse and worse as time goes on. We used to actually have elections with multiple qualified, enthusiastic people stepping up to offer their services as BoD members. Now we have to hope no one steps down because we'll have to coax someone to take that post, often someone who has had it before and hopefully has recovered from their previous burnout.

If any of you REALLY want a RallyCross program you just need to decide how bad YOU want it instead of sitting around saying "When is somebody going to do this for me?" This is YOUR club, not some business you are paying for services from.
[soapbox mode off]

No BS Motorsport - Real sports cars don't have Back Seats!
Age & Treachery Racing Ltd.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:13 am 

I think it was talked about earlier in the thread that things wouldn't get really rolling until the fall. John Jacobs had already started getting things rolling, but was busy at the time which is why fall was tennatively set. I am more than willing to do legwork and get going on getting certified as a safety steward and we have many members of the Iowa Subaru Club on board as well. I'm still hoping we haven't stalemated this racing campaign in the area and can get it rolling this fall.

Under Construction - 1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:36 pm 

I guess some would agree that I am one of those that step forward to help make the fun happen.

It is so easy just hopping into the car, pulling up to the registration, drop a few bucks, race, load up and go home happy.

So why would anyone want to step forward to actually build something like Rally Crosses? Probably because if it does not get done, it will never happen. If we get 5 or 6 to help total, it is really easy. I will gladly help you guys form this, but we all should step up, have a meeting, and then talk about how we can make this happen as a team or group, that way nobody does a lot of work.

Or: we can hire it done, and we can pay a bigger chunk of change to race. The old saying always rules:
Quote:
Nobody races for FREE
. So we either help each other do it, or we pay someone else, and then the cost of each race will be significantly more. Which sounds better to you guys?

Either way we can race, one way is cheaper than the other, that's all.

RD

Owner- Cottman Car Repair and Transmissions- Des Moines- We service / repair cars & trucks!
cell- 515-979-8473; shop =515-331-2100
96 Corvette GS, 2011 Camaro Bumble Bee, 73 Stars and Stripes Corvette convertible. Owner- road race cars: 69 Vintage Hugger Orange SS Camaro #48: Co owner- 1991 Cottman Miata #95.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:46 am 

I just want to let you know my offer to help still stands. I'll be happy to drive to Des Moines to hold a RX safety steward school. Perhaps it could be combined with a meeting with your members that want to see this program get started in DMVR to answer questions about holding RX events. I'm afraid I can't help with finding a site (Hell, I can't find one for MY region!) but anything else...

Jerry Doctor
MiDiv RX Steward

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:20 pm 

I won't lie, like I said on facebook, I'm already volunteering for too many things... Unfortunately civic life MUST take priority over hobbies... And if the Goats get out, I MUST go corral them... So far it seems motorcycling (and motorcycle racing in general) (MX/SuperMoto) is a much cheaper hobby to get into. But alas you can only ride a motorcycle so many months of the year (feb - late november)... That leaves a few months of boring commuting in a car... ;)

I totally under stand Ric, and that's just how it is. There are only so many hours per day. And maybe there are a few kids without much to do, but for the most part the way the economy is everyone is probably pretty close to being tapped out...

I've tried to rally the troops and get people on the hook for setting up a SuperMoto track day at the kart track in Marshalltown... And I got a bunch of HELL YEAH's and then I got well so and so is getting married, and oh my mom is coming back into town and yadda yadda yadda... So no track day... That's how it goes, and believe me I know how it goes... I just thought I would throw another feeler out there to see if anyone is still interested...

Really this will turn into the same type of discussion... Above you used the word viable... That means someone is gonna be counting beans. So what does it take to be "viable"? How many cars are needed? 10? 30? 50? 100? what is the definition of "viable"? I'm sure it depends on location cost, insurance is pry a bit more stable. Equipment is pry already there, or nearly there assuming standard Solo stuff works for this. (will it work in cold, wet, dusty conditions?)

So that leaves man power. How many people are needed? Last solo I went to seems like there were only 3-4 "official" officials, and most of the rest of the workers come from the racers. So you pry need what 6 people committed to donating time for each race,and couple days a month organizing themselves?

Location will probably be the hardest hurdle IMO... In Iowa almost all of the fallow ground has government dollars slapped on it... They promise to leave it wetlands or what ever and they get so much money per acre... So there are very little empty ground sitting vacant... So ideally I'm thinking a gravel parking lot would be ideal, but I'm sure it would require regrading to smooth the gravel back down once everyone is finished wearing in their groove...

I would guess that if we held one fall, one winter, one spring that would be more than enough...

I still find it appealling to have a "grand national" style championship where the same driver/car combo does both dirt and pavement and whoever comes up with the most points at the end wins the whole shabang... (even though classes don't completely line up so that makes it tough)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 pm 

Tullamore wrote:
I was just with an old DMVR member, Doug Havlik

Hey I know Doug, I used to work for him, I've even touched his Europa :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 pm 

fordfocusguy wrote:
Rallycross IS awesome, done it here in Michigan, 10 times more fun than autocross.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgU6ptnFH-c

Awesome!!! Fast forward to 7:00 if you get bored, that's when we did the NIGHT portion.

I would just like to say BAD A** video! The night driving is sweet! The night driving looks really challenging from the camera's point of view... Also, Very nice sound track for that as well :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:27 pm 

Maybe its worth a cruise over to Nebraska for a Rally cross event there. Maybe we could just assemble a DMVR posse and see if we can overturn the locals.

OOO better yet do a road rally on the way over. A DMVR tough man competition if you will. See if we can make it from here to there, race, and return in one piece. Maybe have one empty truck/SUV and trailer combo following behind to pick up the pieces :)

Also since RallyCross seems to happen during the colder months, and everyone knows Iowa in Colder months = live bumper to bumper rally racing on the way to the rally cross :) I think this sounds like an absolute HOOT!!!

Last edited by adowdell on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:29 pm 

If we go that route then would could get a real taste of the action and see if it's worth bringing home.

I think that's how you build the "hard core" people that are willing to build the sport. you find the ones that thoroughly enjoy it... You can't expect people to walk in off the streets with summer DOT autocross tires, and lots of pretty paint and expect them to jump all over "leading" the new rallycross series. You have to find someone that is SOOOOOO hooked that they think it needs to be brought to the masses... Then that enthusiasm will spill over, and burn out won't be burnout...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 pm 

Edit: This post was an epic failed attempt to add a pic...

Last edited by adowdell on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:43 pm 

besides who can say no to this face?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:23 pm 

Quote:
So that leaves man power. How many people are needed? Last solo I went to seems like there were only 3-4 "official" officials, and most of the rest of the workers come from the racers. So you pry need what 6 people committed to donating time for each race,and couple days a month organizing themselves?

There are only 2 "official" Solo positions, Solo Events and Solo Rules Directors, currently John Jacobs and Mark Hayes. We would probably need the same two types of positions. We should be able to use the Solo equipment, and many of the same people will likely be involved.

As for locations, John has already been doing a little scouting - possibly one of the county fairgrounds, or a farm field.

The insurance is covered by SCCA. We have some costs to cover for the event sanction. I'm guessing location rental will be similar to what we do for Solo events (between free and I think about $400 for a couple of the lots). We can most likely break even with about 30 competitors.

What we really need right now is to get a couple people trained as RallyX Safety Stewards, and we've already had offers from Jerry Doctor of the NE Region to help us with training them, and even helping us run our 1st event.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:23 am 

How many safety stewards are needed for each race? What exactly is the job description of a "safety Steward"? I'm assuming that is a "tech inspector"? Basically just someone that knows and understand the rules and knows what to look for etc?

I searched the SCCA site but you have to be a member to see the steward info...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:26 am 

adowdell wrote:
How many safety stewards are needed for each race? What exactly is the job description of a "safety Steward"? I'm assuming that is a "tech inspector"? Basically just someone that knows and understand the rules and knows what to look for etc?

A safety steward is different from a tech inspector, thought they both have impacts on safety. The event safety steward makes the ultimate decision on if a vehicle can run, even if it has been verified by the tech inspector (vehicles with a high center of gravity for example). The safety steward is also in charge of making sure the course remains safe throughout the day. I shadowed Jerry Doctor this spring and it is amazing how quickly the course can change from rutting. Unlike autocrossing, the course gets modified throughout the course of the day to keep it safe for everyone. The safety steward is in charge of keeping track of all of this.

Under Construction - 1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:12 am 

THansenite wrote:
adowdell wrote:

A safety steward is different from a tech inspector, thought they both have impacts on safety. The event safety steward makes the ultimate decision on if a vehicle can run, even if it has been verified by the tech inspector (vehicles with a high center of gravity for example). The safety steward is also in charge of making sure the course remains safe throughout the day. I shadowed Jerry Doctor this spring and it is amazing how quickly the course can change from rutting. Unlike autocrossing, the course gets modified throughout the course of the day to keep it safe for everyone. The safety steward is in charge of keeping track of all of this.

I can imagine there are LOTS of rutting lol.. I've seen what even 2 or 3 dirtbikes can do in short manor, Granted tires are narrow and supper knobby, but we're talking about 3,000 lb cars also.

Any interest in a tough man commute over to another region to race?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:14 am 

OK, so stewards aren't really the tech inspector, they more of the overseer of all saftey including track layout. Got it. How many certified safety stewards are needed?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:36 pm 

Ideally you want 2 safety stewards at an event, which is required if you want to allow them to also compete.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:03 pm 

got it, thanks for the info! Do we have any candidates yet? I don't think I can commit to anything else at the moment...

Anyway I'm still game for a road trip if anyone else is interested :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next