DMVR

Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 pm 

Howdy howdy!

I just picked up one of these bad boys on the 4th in preparation for this weekend and, knowing how heavily they're used by y'all, was curious what steps you guys took in keeping them happy.

In particular, I was curious if anyone did an immediate bleed of their jack, or added more oil, or did a flush before using it. Likewise, if there's any obvious modifications that are recommended, I'd love to hear them.

I did a bleed first thing and a large amount of air came out with some oil, but there were always bubbles (I didn't want to drain my jack onto my garage floor so I stopped!). It lifts my Miata's rear off the ground via the rear differential with 26 "mini pumps" (bumper clearance), which seemed high, but it did the job and it didn't go down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:52 am 

Pretty much all of them are made by the same or similar Chinese manufacturers. They suck, but the price isn't bad.

Lube all of the moving parts, I think I used some 3 in 1 or something like that. Otherwise it will squeak and groan like crazy after a short time.

Carry an allen wrench or two, make a habit of checking all of the machine screws. Especially the ones holding the front wheel spindle.

I've heard that the hydraulic cyl isn't re-buildable in them, and at the price, it's probably just a throw-away item. Then you have a spare breaker bar extension (the jack handle) to torque the heads off rusty suspension bolts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:13 am 

I just put mine in the garage and it works great. I also bring it with me to the races to change tires. They work fine and are very light. I can jack up the entire 1/2 of the car and change two tires or rotate. You will like it. And I didn't touch nothin on it.

1971 Opel GT X 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:41 am 

dchamp wrote:
Then you have a spare breaker bar extension (the jack handle) to torque the heads off rusty suspension bolts.

LOL, I've actually been using the "breaker bar extension" almost as much as the jack itself lately.

Under Construction - 1986 Mazda RX-7 GXL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:03 pm 

dchamp wrote:
I've heard that the hydraulic cyl isn't re-buildable in them, and at the price, it's probably just a throw-away item.

The same goes for the aluminum Craftsman jack that I've got, and paid about double for. Although, for some odd reason, it's decided to STOP leaking.....and unlike a (british, race, whatever) car, it's not empty. :D

The only problem we've had with the Harbor Freight jack in the race trailer would be those bolts holding the front roller that come loose. I'd pro-actively take them off and loc-tite them. (I should take my own advice some day, too.)

Jarrod