DMVR

Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

This weekend's season ender for the ALMS series will be team owner/driver Gil De Ferran's last stint behind the wheel as he steps back to a strictly managerial role next season. In a remarkable bit of sportsmanship he will honor the man who gave him his biggest break in the sport, the legendary Jim Hall, by racing his Acura ARX-02A in the traditional white with circled number 66 made famous by his mentor Hall on the Chaparrals. Here's the AutoWeek article. Be sure to view the gallery as Hall has brought out a Chaparral 2C and 2E to display and lap for photos with De Ferran. What a great gesture by Gil!

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20091009/ALMS/910089987

Jim Hall & Gil De Ferran

No BS Motorsport - Real sports cars don't have Back Seats!
Age & Treachery Racing Ltd.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:17 pm 

Cool... if you want to see some video of on of those Chaparrals in action at the 1967 Can-Am race at Road America I ran across while watching Runoff videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlcOnccfgg

The track looks a little different these days. In '67 there were no barriers anywhere that I can see, except along the pits.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

dchamp wrote:
Cool... if you want to see some video of on of those Chaparrals in action at the 1967 Can-Am race at Road America I ran across while watching Runoff videos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlcOnccfgg

Awesome. Those were the days of some real race cars and amazing innovation. I didn't ever get to see a CanAm race in person, although I did see its predecessor, the US Road Racing Championship, when they raced at Greenwood Roadway in the summer of '64. That was an amazing weekend with Jim Hall and Hap Sharp in the Chaparrals and Carroll Shelby and the full Team Cobra. I was also at the 30th and 40th CanAm reunions at Road America so have seen and heard the cars at speed, and got the autographs of quite a few of the drivers in my CanAm book. I especially enjoyed the year that Jim Hall was the Grand Marshall for the vintage weekend. He brought 5 or 6 of the Chaparrals and did laps in both the 2C and 2E. I also got to spend about 10 minutes talking with him which was a real treat as he's always been a personal hero of mine. He was so far ahead of his time in so many areas of race car design and construction; aerodynamics, use of composite construction, and use of data logging and analysis in car development.

dchamp wrote:
The track looks a little different these days. In '67 there were no barriers anywhere that I can see, except along the pits.

Even in the early 80s when we started going to RA it was far different than now. No "street course" barriers and fencing, and many more places to watch from if you didn't mind some hiking through the woods! Used to love hiking to the inside of the Kettle Bottoms and Canada Corner, although one year at the IMSA Pam and I were inside Canada Corner when somebody flushed the sky and the MG was back by the South Paddock bridge with the top down. :roll:
It was a muddy, slippery trudge back to our "mobile swimming pool", and a soggy foggy drive back to Des Moines as it was Sunday and we both had to work Monday. That was the year the Mustang Probe GTP scored its one and only IMSA win. After similar weather the next year the track came up with pins that said "IMSA - It's Monsoon Season Again!"

No BS Motorsport - Real sports cars don't have Back Seats!
Age & Treachery Racing Ltd.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:21 pm 

I have a bunch of great pictures of Jim Hall and his Chaparrals racing at the Greenwood track in Indianola. I sure would have liked to have seen that in person.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:43 pm 

Nice finish for Gil.

The GT2 finish was another story... hate to see a race end that way.