DMVR

Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:13 am 

1.Arrived, got car rolling on track for first laps.

2. 5 minutes later, realization that the tires are rubbing quite bad, the rusty side digs into the tire more than the “less rusty” side… must be fixed.

3. Get a board and start to pry.

4. Not having a whole lot of luck, Pat found a sack of hammers, this is a small ass hammer, and would likely be useless for what we’re trying to do.

5. hammering the rust off, squishing metal, bashing stuff.

6. Back out there for more testing

7. 5 Minutes later, (Little known fact, Jeremy is apparently afraid of the noise a Honda makes when it’s being “tweaked”)

8. This seemed like a great idea. See, what was happening here is 2 of them jumped on the car, while another innocent bystander held a 2x4 chunk. The idea was that when the car came down, it would use the 2x4 to push up on the metal. I’m ashamed to say this actually worked pretty well.

As a result, the sunroof likely doesn't open, as the roof has dented in a fair amount where we were jumping on it.
But it doesn’t matter, we got the tires to stop rubbing (mostly anyway)

The car ran like a champ, pretty much as soon as one person brought it back to the paddock, another would hop in and take it right back out.

Lastly, check this out:
link to big version (needed to see the scale, it's 60+mpixels): http://chipthurston.smugmug.com/photos/ ... s3CN-O.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:28 pm 

I'm pretty sure Denny, (Ryan's friend from the Osky event with the silver Nissan 240) would let you guys borrow his fender roller for some final tweeking on them fenders. I used it on my hatch and it's pretty slick. I have his number if you want it.

samandgreg wrote:
I remember marveling at Yo's ability to hit something every time he goes out on the course.

325BMW wrote:
If we could, someway, somehow, remove Gabe's mouth from his face.......it would work great as a blow off valve.....SO MUCH HOT AIR!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:41 pm 

Oh, we're golden now... We just barely scrape now and we still need to add some sways. I bet the rear fenders got smashed 2" upwards with that hammer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:34 pm 

So, how was the lapping? Was the Civic super wicked fast?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:23 pm 

It was great through the corners. Maintained momentum very well! Acceleration is lacking though. It took the abuse great. You would start to smell the brakes but they never faded noticeably, even with the 6+ hours of straight abuse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 pm 

khaosman wrote:
You would start to smell the brakes but they never faded noticeably, even with the 6+ hours of straight abuse.

Yea but we are going to have to run four times length non-stop ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:39 pm 

What kind of brake pads are you running?

I've done some extended track days on the Porterfield R4S, and PFC carbon metallic street pads (the ones they carry at Autozone), both of those have good initial bite, and very little, if any fade. The price on the PFC pads is pretty good too. Get an extra set or two.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 pm 

We've got... um... Advanced auto parts "GOLD" lifetime pad... :)

I think we're planning on HP+ or similar when we get closer to the event. With how light the civic is, and how easy Nelson Ledges is on pads, we'll likely be ok with just about anything. (we don't have a 4,000# car to stop like some people.. :) )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:58 pm 

I was running the 2nd 1/2 of the day Sat. on craptastic NAPA ceramic pads that I picked up in case I burned through my good pads, which I did... You could smell them melting after a couple of laps.

Try a set of the PFC Carbon Metallic pads... they should be great for the Civic, and probably cost a bit less than the Hawk pads do.

Dan has a set of the Hawk HPS pads on the Neon, and they held up really well at MAM - no fade at all. They do dust as bad or worse than the Porterfields, but I doubt that's a concern for your LeMons car.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:22 pm 

The car tends to dust a lot from rusty metal falling off :D

I thought we ordered some HP+ but I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 am 

We have not ordered any pads yet.

SPECIAL PRICING VIA PM (This is your best bet for killer deals!)
http://www.jbautosports.com
AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR OVER 300 PRODUCT LINES
Like us on Facebook for Facebook only specials!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:40 pm 

Did you guys end up running Hawk HPS or HP+ pads?

If you did I'm curious how they worked out.

Most people don't recommend Hawk HPS or HP+ for dedicated track because their operating range is only around 600F or something like that, but it isn't that high. Supposidly they're notorious for leaving pad depostis all over the rotors when they overheat too...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:02 pm 

We used NAPA pads.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 pm 

Yeah, We used the napa "good" pad.. (like $30 a set instead of $22 a set)... they never faded and we went 24 hours on a single set.

part of this may have to do with the fact that there are only 2 braking points at Nelson ledges, and part may have to do with the fact that we are running a lightweight car.

Either way, it was surprising to see the brakes worked quite well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:26 pm 

Were those the Carbon/Metallic or the Ceramic pads? I ran out of good pads on the Integra at the last FTL event, and had to resort to putting on a pair of the NAPA Ceramic pads on the front. They faded like crazy, and when I was done the were cooked and looked like crumbly chalk.

I put a set of the PFC Carbon/Metallic pads on the front, couldn't find those for the rear, so I put the NAPA Carbon/Metallic pads on the rear. They seem to be doing pretty well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:22 am 

As soon as I get caught up on my sleep and all and get the shop cleaned up, I'll put the civic on the hoist and do a little maintenance and see what is left of the pads and probably change the oil too.

The Civic did a heck of a job for a bunch of rookies that's for sure :shock: I think we also got lucky for the first time too :)

We lost a lot of laps just with driver change every hour and the extra fuel stops that we had to make due to stravation which really sucked. We need to figure out how to get more of the fuel out of the tank cause as soon we where close to quarter of tank we needed to fuel. I never had the problem so I don't know if it was left or right hand corners that was giving us the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:39 am 

wedge wrote:
We lost a lot of laps just with driver change every hour and the extra fuel stops that we had to make due to stravation which really sucked. We need to figure out how to get more of the fuel out of the tank cause as soon we where close to quarter of tank we needed to fuel. I never had the problem so I don't know if it was left or right hand corners that was giving us the problem.

I know the problem...it's Pat...he has the same problem in the PATYWGN. :lol:

samandgreg wrote:
I remember marveling at Yo's ability to hit something every time he goes out on the course.

325BMW wrote:
If we could, someway, somehow, remove Gabe's mouth from his face.......it would work great as a blow off valve.....SO MUCH HOT AIR!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:57 am 

wedge wrote:
I never had the problem so I don't know if it was left or right hand corners that was giving us the problem.

You can either add baffles or foam on the inside, install a surge tank in the system, or get a fuel cell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:13 am 

...and if you put a fuel cell in, you may as well put in a dry break setup so you can use real dump cans.....

:twisted:

(I'd guess that maybe the rules prohibit said dump cans....)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:58 am 

Fuel cells, and related items are considered safety, and are not regulated.

Our plan is to install a dry break setup before the next race, as we spilled a lot of fuel.

That is, if we can find a way to do that on the cheap. $250 per connector is silly.