DMVR

Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:51 pm 

This is too important to the LeMons guys to tuck in another thread. And I don't know all the members of the team.

If there's any other LeMons team out here you can have this if Chip's team isn't interested. (or whoever is the team leader)

Some free parts below in the thread below...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1570&start=40

More parts pics, some mentioned in the thread above, I'll comment on them later...

Some of the lights mentioned before. Plus four D16A6 pistions, rings are torched though.

Parts mentioned in the other thread. There is a SOHC cam timing gear under the pan. (it might be the same as a DOHC gear as well?)

Spare crank anyone? I don't know the condition of the block, this bin was backed in a corner so I just held the camera over it. I don't believe that's a D16A6 manifold, but I could be wrong. From this angle I can't tell. It does have four injectors though, so it would point in that direction.

LeMons or Road Racers only (for now). I'll post in Road Racing after Monday.

EDIT: If LeMons doesn't want any of the stuff, I'll edit this post to say it's available if anyone here wants it. I said Road Racers because most of this stuff is "good enough" or "not pretty but it works". Most of the mechanical has been beat on pretty hard, so I don't think most SOLO guys would want it unless you have a dedicated car. But I could be wrong.

Last updated 060809. Reason: Custom Civic/CRX seat bracket cut up for my Acura.

Last edited by raycer74 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:06 pm 

I IM'd your thread to Jeremy. I'm relatively certain we'd love to borrow a TON of parts, as we've got the same engine in our lemons racer (89 civic si, don't beat us for the blasphemy that is not turning it into an ST car).

Jer will have to comment, I'm certain we'd take (buy if need be) the engine.

What engine does the crx have?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 pm 

I was/am wondering, is this all stuff you plan on selling soon if we dont' buy it? I noticed in the other thread you said Monday was the cutoff, and I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. :)

-Chip

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:28 pm 

Well, I don’t know if I want to sell the engine. You can definitely have some of the stuff I listed. I might, and I say might, be willing to sell the engine if you guys are good at convincing me. But I don't know. I also have the transmission as well, but it would have to be looked at – syncros and spacers, I believe the bearings are good. We disassembled/reassembled it for practice and put my old std diff in it. But the transmission is in the same boat as the engine.

I have the same D16A6 engine in mine, transplanted in place of the D15 that came in it. The kid that owned it before me was prepping it for a turbo kit. (why a D motor I have no idea). But he worked the motor good…

The CRX Si came with the D16A6 though if that's what you're asking. My HF was the putz D15 motor that got around 50 MPG before people cared what that meant.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:58 pm 

K... I'll have to let Jeremy chime in with stuff... I mean, at this point we're just lookign for random spare parts to cart along with us.. If something were to break, we'd pull that part and then replace it with new (or improved) if you wish...

First things first, need to strip this baby down and see how light we can make her.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:40 pm 

Chip Thurston wrote:
I was/am wondering, is this all stuff you plan on selling soon if we dont' buy it? I noticed in the other thread you said Monday was the cutoff, and I'm just trying to figure some stuff out. :)

-Chip

Well, some of this stuff I'm just offering you guys for LeMons. At least it goes to a good cause instead of collecting rust. And some of the stuff I listed I will give away or sell if you guys don't want it.

Monday was mainly for the free stuff. Free stuff is free stuff, and people don't need to think much about it. If I didn't hear back by Monday I was going to start offering it out right away.

You said you're interested, you have first dibs. Just let me know over the next several weeks, next two races, etc., what you're interested in.

Now, I believe in LeMons they have the right to buy your car. Correct? Some of the stuff I'm willing to risk so you can compete and have fun (like a free rental), but you'll have to go through the wrench time of installing it and giving it back to me later if you don't want to purchase it. But if it gets destroyed (mechanical or wreck, hope not :shock: ) or the car is purchased I'm going to ask for a little reimbursement (I'll be fair, I risked you the part so I know what can happen). For example you could "borrow" the Unorthodox pulley (and matching crank belt) if you don't want to buy it. Some of the stuff you can buy outright if you want. And some of the stuff you can just take for free.

But you can get back to me later on that...

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 11:33 pm 

Gotcha.

Yes, Lemons is technically a Claims race, however to my knowledge Jay hasn't actually bought a car yet. Although My guess is that if he were to buy a car, he'd buy one of the spec miata's that are worth lots more money.

That said, if we "borrowed" a part, and they identified the part as aftermarket, they would know we were BSing and would hit us with a penalty. (Keep in mind that the judges for Lemons have actually posted a "how to cheat" article on jalopnik", so.. yeah.)

Anywho... I'll let Jer say what all we need, as my initial answer would be "yes"... because you never know what's going to break in a 24 hour period in a 20 year old car. Anything we would take, we can return, either as new (if we break it) or as unused..

I should point out that this race is in oct.. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 1:29 am 

Hmmm... Okay, rather than me trying to understand how all the rules work maybe we can just chat during the next event so I get an idea of what you all need and can use vs. what I have.

Depending upon your needs, another good option is to have Jeremy visit the Wrench & Go salvage yard here in Des Moines. Every price is on the wall, all the imports are in one section and off the ground, and you go in there with your tools and take what you want. From the few people that I've talked to, most haven't been down there before. I always need an excuse to go down there, so maybe Jeremy, Gabe (he hasn't been down there yet), and I can go down there with some electric impacts and go to town on some Civics. I guess Yo just got a Honda, so he might need some spare parts before too long! :lol:

Nuts, bolts, and fasteners are free there. Which might be good to stock up on. We have containers full of those special fluted suspension bolts, nuts, those nice OEM hose clamps (not the worm type), etc. I think the ratio of used to new nuts/bolts/etc putting together my Acura is about 20 to 1. Might be a good stop. If there's an 88 or 89 Civic there you might also be able to grab a driver's side seat bracket. If no one bumps their head on the roof with the seat your getting, you could fab a custom bracket quick to mount your seat on the stock rails.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:30 pm 

My simple understanding of the simple version of the LeMons rules are the car has to cost under $500. But, tires, brakes, roll cage, seat and other safety equipment you are free to spend whatever you need on - so they don't compromise safety (any more than is implicit in this event).

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:34 pm 

That is correct.

Safety equipment (incl wheels, tires, brakes) does not count towards the $500 budget.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:32 pm 

Chip,
Something else I thought of this morning, and because you're always shopping it's best to mention it now. Depending upon your budget and/or availability of used parts be careful of aftermarket performance pressure plates for 90-91 clutch discs/flywheels if you decide to upgrade. (89 might be in there to, but just cross reference the model numbers just to be sure)

Most, if not all, aftermarket clutch companies (ACT, Centerforce, etc.) sell the same model pressure plate for 90-91s cable transmissions as the 92-95 hydraulic transmissions. The pressure plates will work, but the clutch travel is so far out of wack that it isn't worth the hassle. By the time you get it adjusted to work correctly, you have to push the clutch pedal ALL the way to the floor to disengage the clutch in order to shift, and you have VERY, VERY little free travel left. Almost to the point that you're riding the throwout bearing. We did a 90-91 clutch upgrade in my CRX and we ran into that problem, we ended replacing it with a Fuji Carbon OEM pressure plate (that involved installing a 20 spline mainshaft in the transmission so we could use the larger discs, but you have a '89 so you're good there). We verified all the dimensions – flywheel, clutch, etc. Replaced the clutch cable in case it was stretched, made sure nothing was flexing on the firewall, etc. that was affecting the cable travel. Everything was good. ACTs response to this was "We've never had this problem/complaint before."

But yet I checked Honda-Tech, and here's people installing aftermarket pressure plates on their 90-91 cable trans mentioning the same thing. About no free travel left on the clutch pedal. Eh, it shouldn't be like that dudes. And you're going to have some slow shifting with that. So verify that the pressure plate is indeed for a cable transmission ONLY. '88 pressure plates should all be cable only, and maybe the '89s as well, but you need to stick with the correct size of that clutch disc.

Just FYI if you're shopping or are able to get your hands on something for a good price. That was the absolutely worst hassle we ever encountered on that car.

Court

P.S. Short shifters are overrated, especially for that transmission. Don't get one.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:45 pm 

[Moderators: shouldn't this thread be somewhere other than the Autocross / Solo section?]

Autoblog has been covering the Reno edition of the LeMons...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/22/2009-lemons-reno-goin-for-broken-day-one/
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/24/2009-lemons-reno-goin-for-broken-day-two/
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/24/video-surprise-peoples-curse-at-goin-for-broken-24-hours-of-l/

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:26 pm 

You think the road racer forum would welcome random lemons Discussion? I'm guessing no.

That said, this forum has far too many subforums, so i dont' want a new one...

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:36 pm 

I'd say it's more Road Racing, or Other Club's Events, or something other than Autox.

Being one of the people that participates in Solo, Racing and Officials, I think it would be good to encourage those besides Solo to participate in the forums. Although, I know a big part of the issue is demographics - even though I'm getting into the Old Fart side of the Solo group, I'm a youngster in the other groups.

In any case, we're all part of DMVR, anyone is welcome to post in any of the sections, it would be nice to keep the topics relevant. You know, like Picture threads should be about pictures, and not, er, whatever it is that Court likes to ramble about. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:46 pm 

you guys need to stop talking to court because ur starting to make lists like he does,and ur starting to make longer responeses than neccesary and ur starting to ramble like he does :lol: :lol: :lol: I would have listed those but i don't know how to yet :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:56 pm 

Trying to decide which of the LeMons cars I like the most. The white "testarosa" is interesting, but I think the MR2 rebel snow speeder takes the cake for me.

BTW, I was at Wrench 'n Go over the weekend, they have a red 85 MR2 in the fenced off lot, the body appeared to be intact, no idea what's in it. Would make a fun LeMons car. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 12:06 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:25 pm 

dchamp wrote:
    - even though I'm getting into the Old Fart side of the Solo group, I'm a youngster in the other groups.

At what particular age group does "Old Fart" start to kick in? If it's thirties or higher I already fell into it... :cry:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:55 pm 

I'm 42.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 7:36 pm 
    Site Admin

dchamp wrote:
    I'm 42.

Ah... According to Hitchhiker's Guide the answer to the Ultimate Question of life, the universe, and everything...

Still a youngster, though.

I'm 57 (58 in August) but still don't feel or behave like an Old Fart. Maurer, Scharnberg & Reinhart are older still... 8)

No BS Motorsport - Real sports cars don't have Back Seats!
    Age & Treachery Racing Ltd.