DMVR

Des Moines Valley Region SCCA Forums
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F1 is back!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Spring must be here... F1 is back as of this weekend. First coverage begins tonight (Thurs) at 10 pm on SPEED with F1 practice from Australia. Qualifying is tomorrow night at 10 and the race will be on live Saturday night at 11 (Sunday afternoon down under). It will be interesting to see if the removal of driver's aids will make things more interesting... I'm pumped!

Also SPEED will be airing 10 of the 12 Hours of Sebring beginning at 8:30 Saturday morning until 11:00, then resuming at 1:00 through the finish.

A great couple of days for SPEED with only a little NASCRAP. Too bad I work noon - 9:30 Saturday... :roll:

No BS Motorsport - Real sports cars don't have Back Seats!
Age & Treachery Racing Ltd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:22 pm 

hey - A F1 thread - what a coincidence

I am watching Austrailian GP Practice right now....

I guess no more ECU controlled traction control this year?

People are spinning out like its no ones business and I am talking drivers like Massa ,Truilli etc. The engine braking is intense.... :lol:

Divine F1 engine sounds will put me to sleep tonight....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:22 pm 

I am SOOOO glad traction control is gone. If that is what it takes to make F1 interesting once again, I can't wait. Maybe something more exciting than "fantastic pit strategy" will take place this year.

I love Hobbs' comment about how (drivers) can't just mash the pedal and wait for the car to make them look brilliant. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:56 pm 

Yeah, the practice session yesterday was pretty "exciting". A lot of veteran drivers were having trouble spinning out - looked like a lot of it was when they were down shifting in the corners. I think they forgot that the traction control used to help them under engine braking too.

It was interesting seeing that Webber was fastest in practice for a while, until Hamilton decided to quite messing around and put everybody else down by a second.

If yesterday was any indication, still doesn't look like much hope for Honda. And Super Aguri looked even worse than last year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:13 pm 

So... that was one of the craziest F1 races I've ever seen. The rule changes are going to make it an interesting year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:09 pm 

dchamp wrote:
So... that was one of the craziest F1 races I've ever seen. The rule changes are going to make it an interesting year.

Was an interesting race indeed...seemed like Hamilton wasn't even mentioned during the race while he was leading the whole time! Tough luck for Bourdias, I was pulling for him to have a great rookie showing.

This is the time of year I love the most! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:28 pm 

Kind of a good news / bad news thing for Seabass. He ran well, but since everyone else was out, he still scored points even though he didn't actually finish. I thought he ran a really solid race.

I wasn't really surprised by Hamilton's run. He's really something. Watching him drive in person in Indy last year was amazing. He's just so smooth. It's like watching Yoda Joe autox at 200mph. :)